Marnham’s Field came into the ownership of Ealing Borough Council in 1932 and has been preserved as an open space. The tradition of creating and maintaining green areas for leisure and conservation purposes continues to this day. On the horizon, to the right of centre, are the mounds at Northala Fields. When Wembley Stadium was demolished in 2003 the rubble was used to construct four of them as part of a park which was opened to the public in 2007 (Northala was the name used in the reference to neighbouring Northolt in the Domesday Book in 1086). Until the twentieth century Greenford had a number of farms that are often recorded in local street names.
Images and text ©Albertina McNeill 2012. Please do not reproduce without permission. All rights reserved. Do not add any of these images to Pinterest or similar sites as this will be regarded as a violation of copyright.